Monday, July 12, 2010

World Cup 2010 goes to.....Spain

After following the World Cup from inception to finale this year, I wondered what it was that had me rooting for the Dutch.  I mean normally, you couldn't pry me away from Brazil or Argentina. 

But watching yesterday's match, the answer finally dawned on me.  I totally identified with the Dutch team.  Here was Spain; the arrogant, overwhelming favorite, with a classically beautiful soccer-playing style.  And here were the Dutch; scrappy, tenacious, not always pretty - but definitely physical.   And they made Spain sit up and look - hard.  They took them through regulation, and into the second period of OT.  In fact, Spain had to be one man up on the Dutch before they could score, and in the end it was 1-0 for the annointed ones. 

So by God yes..I identify with the Dutch.  My opponents may be more gifted or 'chosen'  - but they will never be more tenacious or determined than I.  Never, ever, turn your back on me (or the Dutch!) because we will take your horses, your ball, your friends, your game and your fans....and you'll be left wondering what the he** just happened.  And in the end, if you do manage to beat us, we will leave you broken and exhausted from the effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment