Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Summer arrives and brings....more fish n chips!

It’s been a busy couple of weeks here.  Summer (finally) made an appearance, and I’m settling into my new job. 

The view from my space is spectacular – looking across to West Seattle and Alki; watching the ferries, huge cargo barges with their tugboat "minders" and other smaller boats navigate Puget Sound.  Sea gulls swoop and soar just outside the floor to ceiling windows and I can look down and see the tourists and those just out for a stroll along the waterfront.  Mondays see a Regatta cruise ship docked just below, waiting for the vacationers to board.  If it wasn't for the .66 mile each way walk to the bus stop (which is great in summer – sure to be miserable in winter), life here would be close to perfect J



So, my third fish and chips stop was just across the street at Anthony’s Fish Bar.  It has both indoor and outdoor seating and is an adjunct to Anthony’s restaurant proper.   I opted for the salmon and chips for $9.99.  3 pieces of salmon, coated in a beer batter.  The salmon was okay, but I did find myself peeling off the batter and just eating the fish – not typically a good sign. The fries were as ‘meh’ as anywhere else.  So far, this has been the least expensive option, but I can really only give it 3 stars.  There really isn't an ambiance or service level to rate – this was strictly food.

https://www.anthonys.com/restaurants/detail/anthonys-fish-bar

In other news, Keith, my sister-in-law Debbie and I are going to Seahawks training camp August 4th.  As these opportunities sold out in a day – we are extremely lucky!   Very excited and this will mark the 5th straight year I've made it to camp – since way back in 2009 when Matt Fisher took a very hung over (day after Mile Day!) Michelle to her first.


The fourth fish and chips stop, which will bring me up to date, was Etta’s.  This was actually one of my reps taking me to lunch, lucky me!  To date: Etta’s is ahead.  More of a panko type breading on true cod.  While the menu doesn't say exactly how many pieces, there were 3 large fillets and 3 smaller ones – a ton of fish for $14.50. The fries were of the shoestring variety with seasoning salt and better than we've had to date.   Service was, of course, very good.  The ambiance at Etta’s is unpretentious, but comfortable.  Overall I’d give Etta’s a 4.25 star rating.  Why not a 5 you ask?  Well 5 must be reserved for the fish and chips of perfection (if it exists)!

http://tomdouglas.com/index.php?page=ettas

I will not include any bus rants in this week's post; there would be too many (people who put their feet up on the seats I'm looking at you! Slobs - did your mothers not raise you right ????)

Finally, last Sunday was a Lake Washington Saddle Club Fun Show at Bridle Trails State Park.  Phoenix Farm riders had a blast and did well.  I schooled my kids in Ring 2 and they were awesome.  I was snapping selfies with them all; how come it always looks like I'm photo bombing myself?   Amateur!  Here's Reggie and I.  Have a beautiful sunny summer everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment