Friday, July 8, 2011

Oh Mighty Puckstar - I gotta praise you like I should.....

Today may have started less than auspiciously in our warm up - let's just say that the maple leaf leapt out of nowhere causing Mighty's patented look prop and bolt.  And when he did it at the other end of the ring - I couldn't tell you what it was...air maybe. 

ANYhoo...we went in for our Low 3' and had an okay round...just need to smooth it out a little.  Next was our Hunter round - and it went great.  I saw distances from a mile away, so could look across to the next fence, he maintained a nice rhythmic cadence all the way around, got his leads...all in all a round to be very proud of.  So we were feeling pretty good when it came time to do the Equitation class.
\
I opted for the bold opening move of walking in, immediately galloping down to a 7 stride line.  And it went exactly as planned, then the 6 stride line, then the single oxer on the diagonal - all going great.  Land the oxer soft, turn right and trot over a teensy trot fence.  Easy peasy right?  Tell that to the Mighty who did another of his patented moves; go right up to the fence lift off in front like you're going to jump it, then slam them back down and slide into the fence sending dirt flying.  I was so flabbergasted!  I just back him up 4 or so steps and put my spurs into his heart and he trotted right up and jumped over (like he was supposed to do the first time!) and then down to the stone wall, rolling back to the other stone wall and done.  Winning round ...except for that one tiny glitch...arrrrrrggghhhh! 

Easing the pain was the fact that we got called back first for the jog.  Now - for those of you who are runners this probably seems simple right - you're jogging the length of the arena - no problem right?  Well now do it in tall boots that are NOT meant for running, deep footing, a horse in your right hand that you are trying to keep in a straight line and moving well, and you have to keep up him - and DON'T look like a dork doing it.  Go on...try it....I dare you.  Well, we won the Hunter class; I'm sure the judge could hear The Mighty laughing at me running with him all the way there! 

So, it was a good day - coulda been great - but I'll take it anyway :-)  We had successful turnout with our buddy Cruiser, and got a good roll and grazing time in.  Tomorrow will be a busy day - hopefully it goes at least as well as today if not better!

Random thoughts:
Teri threatening us with a summer's worth of trot fences (nooooooooo)
Tiffany and Jessica coming to turnout armed with cameras to catch The Mighty's famous antics - only to have him wave them off with a 'not today folks'
Doing the mosquito clappy dance in Fort Langley ( I think Teri actually got it on video)
Fake tail (is that like fake boobs?  false advertising???? discuss amongst yourselves)
Playlist: Toxic, Sexy Sax Man (Careless Whisper), Praise You

"We've come a long long way together
through the hard times, and the good.
I got to celebrate you Mighty.
I gotta praise you like I should"

No comments:

Post a Comment